Here’s What’s New At MTS-San Diego:
Review of Students Applications for 2017 Summer Internship
Use the PayPal feature to the right (or at the bottom if you are on the mobile version) to register and pay for events, or RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
We need your RSVP by the WEDNESDAY before our regular monthly meetings, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE! (Happy to have any last minute guests, though, as always – Check, cash or credit card.) THANKS SO MUCH!
February 14-17, 2017
Oceanology International North America 2017
San Diego Convention Center
Oceanology International is known as a long running conference in England and more recently in China. The organizers of Oceanology International have launched a North American edition of the exhibition and conference for the ocean science and marine technology community. The biennial Oceanology International North America (OINA) will be held for the first time in San Diego, California on 14-16 February 2017 at the San Diego Convention Center.
The launch of OI North America will connect 150+ exhibitors with over 2,000 industry professionals, all united by their use of ocean technology. This free-to-attend exhibition and paid conference program will provide networking opportunities for suppliers, contractors and end-users from various industries Including Ocean Research, Marine Science and Aquaculture, Ocean Energy and Maritime Security to establish relationships and secure business with key international experts and buyers in the North American market.
The conference includes:
Keynote Sessions – Invited keynote panelists will come together as different end-users of ocean information to explore emerging technology requirements.
- Technical Tracks – A series of five technical tracks will explore the latest developments in and applications for ocean science and technology.
- Catch the Next Wave – Focusing on next generation robotics and what the marine industry can learn from the aerospace, medical and automotive industries.
- Trade and Innovation theater – Located on the exhibition floor, the Trade and Innovation Theater will host programs on international trade support and mechanisms, routes to investment and introductions to innovative technology and applications.
- MyEvent – A unique online planning and networking tool to plan and organize your event experience. Before you arrive – create your profile, build your event schedule and connect with visitors and exhibitors so you don’t miss a thing.
- OceanSocial – Reach out to exhibitors and other visitors at networking events. This event will give you the opportunity to make new connections and build new business.
For registration and more information go to http://www.oceanologyinternationalnorthamerica.com/
March 16, 2017
MTS-San Diego Monthly Meeting Series @ Giovanni’s Italian Restaurant, 9353 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, San Diego
Topic: Chinese Exploration of Ocean Trenches
Speaker: Kevin Hardy, Founder, Global Ocean Design, San Diego, CA
Abstract: The Shanghai Ocean University, located in the People’s Republic of China (PRC), is leading the aggressive development of a sustainable means to access the deepest ocean trenches on a predicable, if not routine, basis. Prof. Weicheng Cui, anointed “Hero of the Deep Sea” by the Chinese government for his development of the 7km rated Jiaolong submersible, manages the project. His unique funding model includes private and city investment, with the goal of technology transfer to a close-coupled ocean-centered, high tech industrial park. Four unique surface support vessels are being developed to carry the HOV Rainbow Fish to its dive sites, two large monohulls, typical of gyre scale oceanographic research ships, and two exotic vessels, a tri-hull catamaran, and an icebreaker.
This talk will describe the hadal landers and ARVs, Autonomous Remotely-controlled Vehicles, what we in the west refer to as HROVs. Shallower diving submersibles from Graham Hawkes are also planned. The twin MIRs may reluctantly be moved from Russia to China, which can support the submersibles.
The talk will show a number of creative approaches the Chinese are bringing to solve the many problem associated with such a massive undertaking.
Speaker bio: Kevin Hardy founded Global Ocean Design after retiring from a career at Scripps Institution of Oceanography that spanned 40-years. Along with his wife, Michelle, Kevin was an invited lecturer to the Shanghai Ocean University, and the adjacent Lingang High Tech Business Park, in early August 2016.
Have a great idea for our next speaker? Let us know!
email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org